I’ve been meaning to bake for my coworkers for a while now. A bunch of our desks are all together, and we’ve been joking about bringing in baked goods for our little desk area. I had bananas that were on their last legs, and I’ve been meaning to make banana bread for a while now. I added chocolate chips to the recipe; you can never go wrong with chocolate chips.
I made the recipe vegan, partially because one of my coworkers is vegan, and I wanted her to be able to eat it, but I was also out of eggs. Convenient! This came out so moist, and the vegan chocolate chips were extra chocolately. I had a piece for dessert that night in the interest of taste testing, and another promptly for breakfast the next morning. When I brought it into work, it disappeared pretty quickly too. I took that as a good sign!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
A tasty recipe that comes together easily, perfect if you have a few bananas on your counter waiting for a recipe.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 large bananas, mashed
1/3 cup almond milk
3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the APF, spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Place your peeled bananas in a large bowl and microwave them for 30s (this will make them easier to mash, and when the bananas are hot, they’ll melt the coconut oil).
- Mash the bananas, and add the coconut oil and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the almond milk to the mixture and continue to mix until homogenous.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Oil a bread pan, and pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.